Facial Wasting

I have been HIV+ for 4 years and started taking medications 14 months ago. I was on a regiment of Zerit, Viramune and Epivir for about 1 year. At the one year mark of meds I noticed a dramatic reduction in fat in my buttocks and thighs and some facial wasting that seemed to occur over a one month period. I lost about 10 lbs in one month but have gained most of it back. I am at a normal weight. My doctor switched the Zerit to Veriad. I am still noticing some facial wasting. What would you recommed at this point? Has there been sufficient time for my body to recover from the Zerit (assuming the drug caused the weight loss). Not sure what tests to do next or steps to take. I want to take steps early on, if possible.

Thanks

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

The options are not clear at this point. In some cases, switches did produce improvement in fat by using some pretty sensitive tests. The visual exam did not show up some of these changes, but authors suggest that it may take quite some time for benefits of resolving lipoatrophy to show up. Take a look at some of the links below to explore this more:

Drug Switch to Improve Lipoatrophy

Review of Research on Medication Switches and Effects

More Factors than Drugs Related to Lipoatrophy

Serostim for Lipodystrophy
wasting though high cd4 &low Vl