IS THIS LIPOATROPY?

Recently that has been a very severe flu epidemic in my workplace. I caught the flu too, and have been well and sick for more than two weeks. I have also loose stool and seemed to have lost about 1.5 kg. I noticed that I seemed to be thinner in my waist and legs. Is this lipoatrophy ?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Because you noticed a change in waistline, it is more likely that you have lost weight normally. However, with chronic HIV infection your best bet is to try to keep from losing or gaining any significant amounts of weight. So, if the flu comes around again, make special efforts to eat enough to maintain weight.

If lipoatrophy is the case you would be looking at fat losses underneath the skin. You can occasionally "pinch an inch" on your legs, arms, and elsewhere to see how your subcutaneous fat looks and how much you have. It may be worth getting some body measures to keep track. Ask for referral to a dietitian who can provide you with circumferences and fatfolds (including your thigh and calf areas).

I'm hoping this is the answer
lipodystrophy/liposuction