Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mitrochrondial = Lipo
Mar 14, 2003

Is lipo caused by damage to mitochrondial DNA? I was on PIs ofr 2 years, quit due to facial wasting, stayed off for 18 months. I saw an improvement in the facial wasting but when I went back on (non pi) the facial wasting came back around the 8 month mark. Is there anything to slow this process besides risking going on and off meds?

Thanks

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

While that is one of the several hypotheses, it is not a "done deal" in singling out mitochondrial toxicity and a drop in mtDNA. You will find an interesting review on the subject at the link below.

What will slow or prevent the problem is still up for debate. It is certainly worthwhile reducing those risk factors that you can in the meantime. There is some work on modulating insulin resistance, but that could take some time. With so many different factors involved, it seems likely that the most effective prevention and treatment strategies for lipodystrophy in its many forms will be both individually determined and a combination of different types of therapies.

IAPAC Lipodystrophy Article: Click on "Hypothesis" link

Previous
oxandrolone
Next
Antonio

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.