Mitrochrondial = Lipo

Is lipo caused by damage to mitochrondial DNA? I was on PIs ofr 2 years, quit due to facial wasting, stayed off for 18 months. I saw an improvement in the facial wasting but when I went back on (non pi) the facial wasting came back around the 8 month mark. Is there anything to slow this process besides risking going on and off meds?

Thanks

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

While that is one of the several hypotheses, it is not a "done deal" in singling out mitochondrial toxicity and a drop in mtDNA. You will find an interesting review on the subject at the link below.

What will slow or prevent the problem is still up for debate. It is certainly worthwhile reducing those risk factors that you can in the meantime. There is some work on modulating insulin resistance, but that could take some time. With so many different factors involved, it seems likely that the most effective prevention and treatment strategies for lipodystrophy in its many forms will be both individually determined and a combination of different types of therapies.

IAPAC Lipodystrophy Article: Click on "Hypothesis" link

oxandrolone
Antonio