Is Botox safe?

Hi. I have suffered mild to medium lipo and have had new fill to good effect. I lost a lot of fat around my cheekbones and now when I smile strong "smile lines" appear. And this is not just getting older, I am 41.

My question is: Is Botox (botulinium toxin type A) safe for Hiv + people?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

First off, botox has been used comsmetically to relax (paralyze really) muscles. The lines you see in the lower part of your face may not look better with some paralysis.

As to whether it is safe for people with chronic HIV infection, it is a matter of speculation at this point. I would tend to recommend against being the first on your block to try it out at this point, especially because you are looking at something other than its current cosmetic use for furrowed brow lines.

Here is a link you might find interesting that discusses some of the details (go about half-way down the page to get to the botox comments).

botox and more discussion

There has been some concern that botox, even with its current and recurrent use, could cause some long term paralysis of local muscles beyond its intended use. Here is another link that notes that effects are unknown.

botox safety

Please Help Me - Am I Seeing Things?
Can you gain weight being HIV+