Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help me I think Im underweight
Mar 8, 2003

Im 19 years girl, with 41 Kilograms. I have no appetite. I often feel tired and lazy to do any thing. I also sensitive to light and have often handache. What could the cause, I really want to have about 50 kilos. Please help me

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

With HIV infection it is especially important to take stock of your health early. Your weight is mostly related to your height. If 50 kg (about 110 pounds) is a good weight for you, I would guess your height to be around 157 cm or about 5'2". If you have a small frame weighing a little less shouldn't be a problem, but probably not as little as 41 kg (around 90 pounds). If you started around 50 kg and lost to 41 kg then the change in weight may be particularly harmful.

Appetite may be a key factor (though there can be others). If you know of a factor causing appetite loss it is worth finding an intervention that will reverse the cause. For instance, if you have an opportunistic infection, treatment for that infection may help to restore appetite. There are also exercise and diet strategies that you can work with your dietitian to find the right ones for you.

You could really benefit from talking it over with your doctor and dietitian to put the pieces together. Light sensitivity comes in different forms (are your eyes sensitive to light? does your skin react?) and a hand ache could be caused by injury or several other problems. Make the appointment with your doctor and dietitian to explore specifics about if you are really underweight for your height, what may have caused it (especially if you have lost weight), and best matches of interventions.

Previous
How Can I Prevent Lipodystrophy, Lipoatrophy, & Wasting
Next
Please Help Me - Am I Seeing Things?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.