HOw can I avoid lipodystrophy

I hope you will answer my question. I will like to know is there a way that I can avoid lipodystrophy. I know there is not alot of information but if you can help me in anything please help me. My t-cells are 409 and 9 thousand copies. No treatment yet. Thank you in advance.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

While I don't think there is a perfect answer to your question, I do think that you can do a number of things to limit the risk as it is currently understood.

Take a look at your personal risk factors and address each of those. These may include the typical "healthy changes" such as a healthy diet and stable weight (talk with a dietitian), a healthy exercise program (talk with a physical therapist, exercise physiologist, certified trainer), smoking cessation (talk with your nurse, doctor, pharmacist), limiting drinking, avoiding other infections, and such.

Other factors are things like genetic predisposition (take a look at family history for diabetes, for instance), medications (talk with your doctor, pharmicist, nurse about choices you make), and age.

Even with great healthy habits and clean slates on family history and a young age, HIV infection itself tends to kick off some hormonal changes. It is worth keeping a close eye on things. Sometimes you can measure changes before they are apparent to "eyeballing the mirror." Check out the link below to download some instructions on keeping track of your body. Let your team know that you are concerned about changes and want them to help you to be vigilant. Best wishes on the work ahead!

Self Measure Guides

wasting question (lipodystrophy)
Serious Weight Loss