HIV and medication naive

Hi doctor

I know there are few studies that suggest use of PI therapy can spike cortisol levels and possibly result in Cushing's-like appearance, but what about HIV itself spiking cortisol levels? Is it possible? Of course the question would be, is the stress from knowing one has HIV able to raise cortisol (the stress hormone as it were)? Stress aside, could HIV cause hormonal changes, etc, resulting in a heightened cortisol level?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Actually, in the past with severe HIV infection, the cortisol has been low and the adrenals have failed. I think that stress can certainly increase levels temporarily anyway, but HIV itself probably does not. DTD

Oxandrin
1-ad (1-testosterone)