Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

excessive hunger
Jan 25, 2003

I am an asymptomatic HIV+ individual male and for the last six months been gaining weight significantly and hate to be fat like this, I put on 40 lbs in 2 months (my thyroid test is clear) and feel hungry all the time. Do you think I should diet? I am 230 lbs and am 40 yrs old and height 5' 9". Shall I save the fat for wasting or what? I am confused. I exercise calisthenics but hate doing aerobics, feel very stressed out, I am not on any medication. Please advise.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

40 pounds in 2 months is pretty significant and at 5'9" it sure sounds like too much to me. These things tend to be pretty individual in nature. And while it sounds like a psychological reaction in addition to physical hunger, you would certainly benefit by an evaluation by a dietitian to help figure out potential causes and solutions.

As for saving the fat for wasting, it will be better to keep an adequate amount of fat in the body while you work on the lean stuff. Another possibility on the exercise front is to look into the numerous types of aerobic exercise (including vigorous housework!) to see what you might hate less 2 to 3 times per week.

Best wishes!

Previous
wasting, the end?
Next
what is wasting and lipodistrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.