The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jan 25, 2003

Can you please tell me if there is anything I can do for myself to get my "butt" back? Exercise, diet? I have been HIV POZ for 7 years and have lost a considerable amount of "fat" in my behind. It's rather flat now and I want to do something to get it back the way it was. My Doctor has me on Testosterone for weight gain, and it seems to be working in all the other places except, you guessed it! Any Suggestions? K in Fl.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

This is a very tough question, one without a very clear answer. If the problem stems from alterations in hormone balance and function (often associated with fat losses), then treatment aimed at correcting or at least balancing in your favor is the underexplored area of research at this time (though work is now being done to determine effects of improving insulin sensitivity, for instance).

Some people have been looking at oral insulin sensitizers, testosterone replacement, or anabolic steroids, though little has been reported.

Some people have been trying to rebuild muscle in the buttocks area by doing exercises on an elliptical training machine, for instance. Again, little reported in this area.

The exercise avenues are certainly something you can do (ask your doctor if there are any contraindications for you). In addition, especially if there are other areas of fat losses, talk with your doctor about hormonal modulation to see if it is appropriate in your case.

Best wishes!

HIV+. no treatment at this time with weight gain
wasting, the end?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint