Should Inhaled Steroids Be Avoided?

Like other males with HIV-related lipodystrophy, I now have some osteoporosis and osteopenia (determined by DEXA). I also use a nasal inhaler. I've read a couple of recent reports stating that inhaled steroids can contribute to bone loss.

Should a person with HIV-related bone loss avoid nasal corticosteroids?, and do you recommend any treatments for HIV+ patients who are beginning to lose bone density?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question. Inhaled steroids for asthma get much more steroid into your body than the nasal ones do. I don't think I would worry about it. For bone density, you should check your testosterone, do weight bearing exercise and make sure you get enough calcium and vitamin D, the same thing we advise postmenopausal women. However since you are a male you can take larger doses of testosterone replacement if you need replacing and that will help the osteoporosis. Good luck! DTD

Aids wasting and drug therapy
Treating wasting in patient with history of lymphoma