stomach bloating and nausea

I think I have stomach bloating and I feel nausea once in a while. It feels terrible. I want to vomit and belch but I just can't (the air seem to refuse to be released). Is there any remedy for it or could there be other reasons for stomach bloating (eg. not air trapped inside)? Cheers.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Yes, there can be a number of reasons for feeling bloated and needing relief. Some of these reasons include problems with fat and other nutrient absorption, overeating at meal time(s), medication interactions, fat accumulation in the trunk, and organ dysfunction.

If the problem is fat malabsorption you can ask your dietitian to help you in putting together a low-fat diet. You can also talk wit your doctor about prescription pancrelipase (pancreatic enzymes that help to break down fat and relieve symptoms). Lactose intolerance can also cause bloating and a mild form (one that causes discomfort but no major diarrhea) could benefit from over-the-counter lactase. Other tips include keeping your body upright after eating, drinking beverages separately from your food (leaving a bit of time before and after meal times before drinking fluids to allow the food to pass through the stomach), sipping on carbonated beverages to support the belching (sometime this doesn't work, so it will be a "trial and error" option), and eating smaller, more frequent meals to keep the abdominal pressure down. Another practical tip is to avoid restrictive clothing that increases pressure on your abdomen and make sure that you include some form of physical activity in your daily routine.

Bloating can also be a sign of gastrointestinal, pancreatic, and liver problems. As you work out some dietary strategies check with your doctor about what circumstances are most likely for you and how to address them. Best wishes!

Early Intervention
diet and fibrates