my big ole belly

I am experiencing, like many others, lipodystrophy in the abdominal area. It has become extremely uncomfortable that I would classify it as painful. Every meal, no matter how small, feels like Thanksgiving dinner. Except for the actual location of the fat, I have no other problems (cholesterol, lipids, etc). My question is, are there any documented cases of lipodystrophy actually being the cause of a person's death? If not, can one assume that it has just not happened yet, but is very possible. It seems to me, if my belly continues to grow, the fat might further effect my ability to breathe, perhaps suffocate me with pressure against my lungs and/or heart? Am I paranoid, or can this happen? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

To my knowledge, there have not been deaths documented because of the pressure of visceral fat on the lungs or elsewhere. There is, however, an increased risk of other conditions that carry a higher risk of illness and death, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

Every therapy decision is based on a risk vs. benefit estimation. In your case, the risk of therapy may be worth the benefit to your tremendous discomfort and pain. Because you will need to consider many factors (current medications, viral control, complicating conditions, and your own "host" risk factors), you will need to talk with your team about the options.

Meanwhile, start with diet and exercise. To match your current capabilities and goals with specifics, ask for referrals to a dietitian and a physical therapist with some experience in these matters. From there, talk with your doctor about the possibility of medication switches and/or medication additions to target the visceral fat that is causing you such impairment.

Also, keep track from this point by measuring your middle. Take a look at the self measure guide through the link below to keep track.

Best wishes! Self Measure Guides

Big tummy go away
Vitamin B12