submalar implants

I am considering submalar implants to correct the facial wasting/sunken cheeks I have developed after years of antiviral treatment. Can you tell me how widely this procedure is used? Its sucess rate? Possible drawbacks? And suggest questions I should pose to my plastic surgeon. Many thanks, Brandon

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Hi Brandon!

Implants and other surgical strategies have been fairly widely used in major urban areas. The experiences have varied from very acceptable to less than acceptable. The success rate depends a great deal on the skill and experience of the surgeon as well as your own "candidacy" for that type of procedure.

My recommendation is to talk with your doctor about their experience with referring other patients local to your area to see if the surgeons have such experience and success. Then talk with the surgeon (and their staff) to help you to determine if they have adequate experience and success with this particular type of procedure. Many surgeons will keep "before and after" photographs to view and should provide you with some references (other people who have had the same procedure done) to talk to about their experience.

Best wishes!

cmv cause wasting?
What is normal and what is not?