cmv cause wasting?

Hi Ms Fields-Gardner, Have you or Dr Dieterich ever seen or heard of someone having similar wasting and visceral collection of fat in cmv patients who didnt even have HIV? Please, I cannot get any answers on this. I am a fitness guy and regulate my intake and exercise and weightlifting very closely and there is clearly an outside source causing this body change. Testosterone is at 521, and I'm 22 years old and have been diagnosed with a high titer of CMV antibodies. I read about colitis CMV infecting the intestines ... any thoughts? (never touched anything anabolic or steroid or hormone related) Thank you for any help you can offer.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

There are many theories about the risk factors for acquired visceral fat accumulation. A couple of the risk factors include long-term infection (while we work with HIV infection, other infections can have a similar effect on the body's metabolism), low testosterone, insulin resistance and others. Host factors may include smoking, aging, poor exercise and diet habits, among others.

While you don't qualify on the aging or low testosterone fronts, it stands to reason that long-term infection may be a risk factor in your case.

It will be helpful to make sure that accumulation in belly fat is of the visceral and not the subcutaneous variety. A very simple self-test is to take a look at your side view in the mirror and note how far the belly extends. Then lie down and see if your belly flattens a bit and the sides are a bit wider. Normal calorie-related fat accumulation flattens and widens a bit when one lies down. Visceral fat accumulation does not flatten and widen, but remains pretty much in place when lying down.

Check with your doctor about treatments for CMV and for visceral fat accumulation that may be best in your particular situation. While you are exercising and watching diet, other treatments for visceral fat accumulation may include hormonal therapies.

Best wishes on the work ahead!

low dose naltrexone
submalar implants