similar pattern (of body shape changes)

Hi Cade, Thank you for your help with this question. If you aquire HIV off a partner, is it likely to follow a similar course to their pattern of progression? For example if the person you caught it off developed facial wasting with prominent veins under their eyes after 4 years being HIV+ would you? I knew a couple male/female, and the male seemed to follow the same patterns as his partner. It seems logical to me that if you have the same virus then you would have similar symptoms. Is this true?

Sarah

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Hi Sarah!

While there may be some similarities, how your body responds to HIV infection and its complications is probably determined by a very complex group of interactions in the body that are somewhat unique.

Also, your risk factors for developing such problems (such as genetic predisposition, weight changes, smoking and drinking habits, exercise habits, eating habits and others) can be different and lead to different results.

Partners often share some habits and risk factors, such as smoking, eating, and exercise patterns. This will influence their similarities as well.

I don't know that similar virus transmission leading to similar physical changes has been explored to date. Perhaps this topic will be explored by researchers in the future as understanding of the problems and risk factors that lead to body shape changes are better understood in the context of HIV infection.

weight (why am I "fat" while my partner is "skinny")
Lipoatrophy. Change in therapy?