Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

weight (why am I "fat" while my partner is "skinny")
Oct 28, 2002

Me and my partner both have aids but he is skinny and can't gain weight. His numbers are real good. But me, I'm overweight and its hard to lose weight(?). Usually you relate aids to real skinny skeleton looking people. Why am I fat? I'm suppose to be skinny. I have aids for Gods sake????????

My partner eats more than I do and my numbers are worse???? Please explain without saying its metabolism. I'm always constipated and my partner has diarrhea WHY???????????

Thank you, Curuious

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

What we know at this point is that people's bodies react differently to disease and even to food. HIV infection does not result in the same "picture" for everyone. You didn't start out the same (even if you had similar weights).

There are two different types of "skinny" and two different types of "fat" in people with HIV infection. Your partner may be skinny (I am assuming skinnier than before) because of either muscle or fat loss (or both). You may be heavier because of a gain in normal fat under the skin that happens when you eat more than your body needs or because of "visceral" fat that is layering in your belly, back, neck, or breasts because of changes in hormones. You can tell the difference in the types of fat gain in your belly because normal fat gain flattens out when you lie down while the abnormal fat is harder and doesn't flatten out. Abnormal fat deposits are more a problem of hormones not just calories.

As for the diarrhea versus constipation, that is likely to depend on medication differences, differences in the bacteria in your gut, or differences in the condition of your gut.

Suffice it to say, people are different and are likely to have some variance and even different manifestations of a disease, even though it seems like everyone should have the same thing if they have "AIDS."

Previous
Question about Deca
Next
similar pattern (of body shape changes)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.