Question about Deca

I have HIV and Hep C and have been trying unsuccessfully, to gain about 15 pounds. I am considering Deca (100mg per week), but my Dr. thinks my weight is fine and won't prescibe anything for me. Is 100mg or less "safe" in regards to liver toxicity and effects on CD4 and CD8 cells and viral load ?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Deca is reasonably safe for the liver since it is injected and avoids what is known as "first pass" metabolism in the liver. However you should be aware that it can and usually does lower your testosterone. You may require testosterone supplementation too. I can't take a position on your weight. You and your MD will have to decide about that. However you also ought to discuss HCV treatment. Good luck! DTD

Marked Weight Loss during ARS
weight (why am I "fat" while my partner is "skinny")