The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abdominal swelling
Oct 10, 2002

I do not have H.I.V. though do have extreme stomach swelling. My doctor has brushed me off saying it is due to an ovarian cyst and women complications... I think I have ascites do to scarring or possibly a bacterial infection/absess. I think this is because I have been exposed to black mold regularly becoming sick from it and swelling up and have pain in my stomache shortly after due to exposure. At first the swelling would go away. Now it is chronic with my last exposure. My question is "Please" what can I test for to check for the above mentioned conditions. I too like other people from your site have pain under my breasts into my ribs do to this swelling and it hurts to sit. Thanks so much for your time, efforts and considerations.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

There are so many things that could contribute to abdominal swelling that you will need to return to your doctor or another specialist to discuss the possibilities. Hormonal changes along with other problems are a possibility and may be what your doctor is eluding to in the comment about "women complications." Ascites is a very different issue and something that should be differentiated from the fat alterations seen in our HIV-infected patients.

So, I would say that it is worth getting it checked into. You can also request a consultation with the nurse to provide more indepth information into the reasons for the doctor's diagnosis. As much as possible, you should strive to understand the thinking behind the actions taken or not taken to your satisfaction.

Muscle Loss in Arms,weakness,lethargy.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint