Weight gain and muscle loss

I don't know what is wrong with me. I weigh 235, but I have lost muscle in legs. I am 5'8" and weighed 180 before the onset. I've tested negative for HIV. Help!

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

If you are HIV-negative, I would look to other sources for muscle wasting. First you need to find out if it is truly muscle that has wasted or fat that has wasted. Ask your doctor to evaluate your legs during a physical exam. Other risk factors may include other chronic disease, aging, hormonal changes, smoking, drinking, and possibly medication interactions. It will take some sleuthing, but you should start by talking with your doctor about what risk factors you have and what is appropriate treatment for you.

Best wishes!

adrenal insufficiency
B.I.A. testing