For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Please Dr. Dieterich, advise me...

Dear Dr.Dieterich, I started HIV treatment on Aug 2001 with Norvir,Fortovase, Epivir and Zerit. In the last month, I noticed some sunk cheeks on my face and some ugly veins in my legs, arms and even on one side on my forehead. Do you think it's due to Zerit? What can I substitute it with? My VL is <50 and my CD4 212. Thank you for your answer

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is probably a mixture of HIV, the D4T and the protease inhibitors. I would switch regimens to a non D4T containing regimen with either Sustiva or Viramune. It would make your pill count smaller too. Nothing to lose by switching. Good luck! DTD

Papaya fruit confusion
adrenal insufficiency