HIV+, but testing negative

My boyfriend has recently tested positive for HIV with a T-cell count of 350. We find out the viral load next week. My concern is that we were planning a relocation to a country that requires a negative blood test for HIV. Moral issues aside, will he ever be able to test negative and, if so, what sort of timeline for that should we expect?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

It is possible to achieve an "undetectable" viral load. This doesn't mean that virus doesn't exist in the body, just that it is below the limits of detection in a blood test. However, I am not sure that your boyfriend would be able to get through an independent test for HIV status as negative. I would suggest you check further into specific requirements for your move and talk with your boyfriend's doctors about the situation to determine what results are likely.

possible hiv+ related pain
26 Yr old HIV+ w/ Low(?) Testosterone and symptoms