Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+, but testing negative
Sep 1, 2002

My boyfriend has recently tested positive for HIV with a T-cell count of 350. We find out the viral load next week. My concern is that we were planning a relocation to a country that requires a negative blood test for HIV. Moral issues aside, will he ever be able to test negative and, if so, what sort of timeline for that should we expect?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

It is possible to achieve an "undetectable" viral load. This doesn't mean that virus doesn't exist in the body, just that it is below the limits of detection in a blood test. However, I am not sure that your boyfriend would be able to get through an independent test for HIV status as negative. I would suggest you check further into specific requirements for your move and talk with your boyfriend's doctors about the situation to determine what results are likely.

Previous
possible hiv+ related pain
Next
26 Yr old HIV+ w/ Low(?) Testosterone and symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.