can't figure it out (bloating, fluids)

Cade, I have a problem with constant idiopathic bloating. It is not your typical edema and it really just effects my mid section and thighs. It definitely looks like fluid accumulation, yet I monitor my weight daily and body fat to look for sudden changes and it's all pretty stable. If I were accumulating fluid I would think the scale would register some kind of weight increase even if it were only two pounds. I don't flucuate more than 1 pound at the most which I think is completely normal. Yet some days I look and feel so puffy and other days relatively lean. What can be behind this? Is hiv behind this even though it is under control?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

It is unlikely that the fat compartment will change suddenly. Fluids, however, can change very quickly. When you are feeling bloated it could be a case of fluid shifting rather than volume increase. This would help to explain why your weight doesn't fluctuate. It may sound odd, but you can be "dehydrated" while fluids pool in extravascular spaces.

Your weight can fluctuate without any real change around 3-5 pounds during the week depending on when you weigh yourself and other circumstances. You are probably already weighing yourself in a standardized fashion... just after you wake up and are finished urinating in your same pajamas or in the nude.

If you are pooling fluids in your mid section after drinking the night before, consider club soda or other non-alcoholic water source as an alternative to see if it helps! If fluids are pooling in your thighs, you should talk with your doctor about this at your next appointment. Best wishes!

ecm
re: wasting without meds