Bio-Alcamid?

Hi Cade, I have posted a few questions pertaining to facial waisting and your answers have helped, there was one site that you gave me and it had some links,I ran across some info on a clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. There they inject Bio-Alcamid an injectable endoprosthesis (implant), containing 97 apyrogenous water and remaining is polyaklamide. After visiting there web site it looks great and was devolped in Switzerland in the 80's and has been used since 81. Sounds promising, but why not approved by the FDA here? I have started an online consultation, they are swamped with Facial wasting patients. Would you please go to their web site and tell me what you think? And have you ever heard of this procedure? They claim it is permanent and with no side effects, or migration or reasorbility by the body. Your opinion would be highly appreciated. Heres the link: http://www.clinicestetica.com/english/links.html Thank you for your time, Jessica in Atlanta PS LOVE The body's web site, very helpful.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Dear Jessica,

After visiting the website you listed and looking for further information, I found that there was little beyond anecdotes. While this does not mean the substance and procedure will not work, it does suggest that when you proceed, you do so at your own risk.

I did find it interesting that the site in Italy for bio-alcamid (web.tiscali.it/bioalcamid/en/bioalcamid.htm) suggests immunodeficiency syndrome, prior use injectible silicon implants, and diabetes decompensation among contraindications. While my search was not exhaustive, I did not find much beyond sites that sell or may contain a bias because of enthusiasm.

Approval by FDA requires that the company apply and go through a predefined process. The U.S. is a good market and no doubt the company will be going through the process if it can.

Also, you might note that there will be a discussion at this year's International Conference on Lipodystrophy in San Diego that is being organized by Nelson Vergel that will discuss fillers that include this substance. You may want to contact Nelson (powertx@aol.com) to find out more about the meeting or ask for the information that was discussed after the September 24th date.

One person may have a great experience and the next may not and there is little on which to base a guarantee. My opinion is that all avenues are worth exploring and that your final decision should be made after getting pros and cons from both those who are selling the procedure and a review by those who know your health situation the best: you health care team. It is difficult to not be a skeptic in today's climate of help vs. sell, but I would say that if the problems you experience are real and very disturbing to you, explore all of your options and make the decision that only you can make.

Best wishes in your endeavor!

nutrition & Exercise
re.....bia.-Thanks