Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nutrition and facial wasting
Aug 1, 2002

Hi... My cheeks are sunken. Short of doing any of the reconstructive surgery, is there any thing I can do (food-wise, exercise-wise) that would slow down the progression of facial wasting? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

At this point in time there are no clear answers to your question. There is some investigation into the oral antidiabetic drugs in the "glitazone" category.

While diet and exercise recommendations are pretty much based on anecdotal results and limited investigation, one cannot make sweeping recommendations here. A regular exercise regimen along with an adequate diet is a good baseline. Exercise has been used in diabetes to improve insulin sensitivity and, while it remains unproven, may be worth a try. You can also talk with a dietitian to design a diet to reduce insulin responses in an effort to minimize potential effects of insulin resistance. While these recommendations have not been well-tested, they have the advantage of not introducing potentially confounding medications and pharmaceutical nutrients.

It is likely that a multi-treatment approach (diet, exercise, smoking cessation, treatment for insulin resistance and mitochondrial toxicity, and/or surgical treatments) will work best. Just what that is remains to be seen.

Previous
I need someone to give shots to myself and 4 others in New Orleans
Next
Need some advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.