Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

making my legs thinner
Jul 29, 2002

I'm trying to get my legs more toned and thinner. Could you tell me what exercises I could do to make this possible?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

It is getting more unusual to have this type of request. And, seeing as how this is a forum on HIV-related issues, I will assume that you are also HIV-infected. This complicates the answer to your question a bit.

Getting toned is a matter of exercise. Resistance exercise will be appropriate for this and you may want to get an evaluation done and specific recommendations tailored to your needs by visiting (ask for a referral) a physical therapist.

Getting thinner is generally a matter of calorie balance. Eat less, you are likely to get thinner. Generally, the loss of fat that makes you thinner is a bit more systemic (all over) than specific to legs... though there are plenty of other factors, including genetics, that will come into play. With HIV infection, it is not something to take lightly. While we don't know that if you initiate appropriate fat loss it will or won't lead to too much fat loss under the skin, it may be worth going about this in a reasonable manner.

To do this, add a referral request for an HIV-savvy dietitian who can help you to make sure that your intake is adequate to support stabilization of a good weight while exercise helps you to tone up.

Previous
protease inhibitors v. facial wasting
Next
Facial wasting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.