making my legs thinner

I'm trying to get my legs more toned and thinner. Could you tell me what exercises I could do to make this possible?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

It is getting more unusual to have this type of request. And, seeing as how this is a forum on HIV-related issues, I will assume that you are also HIV-infected. This complicates the answer to your question a bit.

Getting toned is a matter of exercise. Resistance exercise will be appropriate for this and you may want to get an evaluation done and specific recommendations tailored to your needs by visiting (ask for a referral) a physical therapist.

Getting thinner is generally a matter of calorie balance. Eat less, you are likely to get thinner. Generally, the loss of fat that makes you thinner is a bit more systemic (all over) than specific to legs... though there are plenty of other factors, including genetics, that will come into play. With HIV infection, it is not something to take lightly. While we don't know that if you initiate appropriate fat loss it will or won't lead to too much fat loss under the skin, it may be worth going about this in a reasonable manner.

To do this, add a referral request for an HIV-savvy dietitian who can help you to make sure that your intake is adequate to support stabilization of a good weight while exercise helps you to tone up.

protease inhibitors v. facial wasting
Facial wasting