Gatorade???

I'm HIV positive for 7 years. Real healthy. Good labs. My question: is Gatorade drinking as a regular beverage, not when dehydrated, bad for you. I switch to Gatorade for regular drink and started gaining weight and getting large fat neck. Since I stop my weight went down and fat neck gone. My partner has a buffalo hump that got worse also on Gatorade. Once he stopped it has started going down. Any correlation?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Thank you for the interesting report! Sports drinks do contain sugars intended for quick replacement of energy sources. While I am only speculating, I would say that the insulin resistance theory of a risk factor might be the most likely candidate. Insulin resistance and diabetes have been reported as a risk factors for altered fat deposits, and is probably not an uncommon finding in HIV infection. You can be tested for insulin resistance. If this is the case, while it may not be your sports drink, per se, a high load of carbohydrate at one sitting that may exacerbate the problem. In the case of a sports drink (or sugar-sweetened drinks), it may be easily digested enough to enhance the effect of insulin resistance in a way that is detrimental to you (and your partner).

There has been some small amount of experimentation in looking at the effect of a diabetic diet, for instance, in curbing the effect of insulin resistance. Nothing that I know of that is reportable at this time, but worth a try. If you are interested, check with a dietitian who is savvy in the area of diabetic diets to see if that will help to maintain nutritional status (including weight) without exacerbating any insulin resistance problems that may exist.

Best wishes!

lipoatrophy (role of abacavir)
Viral Load below 50 after 18 months