Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how does buffalo hump figure??
Jul 23, 2002

DR.Dieterich, I appreciated your response to why lipo many not respond for a long time if at all when off medication.There is something I don't uderstand though.If mitochondrial toxicity can be pinpointed for the loss of fat as a result of fat cells dying and ab accumulation is a result of expanding fat cells,what do you think is behind the buffalo hump?It's beginning to become noticeable after years on meds(PI included)but instead of at the base of the back of my neck it is on the sides of my neck on top of my shoulders.I thought this was usually caused from mitochondrial toxcity but it is an accummulation of fat.Do these ever resolve with a discontinuation of therapy or is it like fat loss "here to stay"?Thank you

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is a difficult one. Buffalo humps are rare and very unusual. It sounds like yours is very unusual. It may resolve slowly but may not either, just cant say. It also appears that there may be a genetic predisposition to buffalo humps even in people who are HIV negative. DTD

Previous
how much depo testosterone should I get???
Next
High SGOT and SGPT in 32 yr. old male

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.