True or not true

Hello, I am writting today to you because I have a lot of respect for what you know and how you explain to writers like myself. I read a response from Dr Benjamin Young that was disturbing to me. He stated that lipoatrophy is seen mostly from the progression of HIV in the body and not from Zerit and I must say that this has not been my experience. I have been on Zerit three times and every time I notice my face shrinks back. When I went off of this treatment my face slowly recovered, somewhat. The correlation was so strong that it leads me to beleave that this doctor is either taking the word of pharacutical companies over the word of patients that are living this or he is referrencing outdated information. It is upsetting to hear a doctor say that Zerit is not the primary source of this. I recognize that in the past, before PI and HARRT, that many people had wasting in the late AIDS stages but we have come a long way from then and I fear that the voice of some will be heard before the voice of those of us who live it. Any comments?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Facial wasting and lipoatrophy is usually caused by mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogues. It can also be caused by aging. However the nucleosides have a different propensity to cause it and the "d" drugs DDI, D4T and DDC are most likely to cause it and the others are much less likely to cause it, although all of the nucleosides can be responsible. I can't comment on anyones motives or opinions. This is a very complicated topic and many people disagree. Good luck! DTD

In preparation for Medication
Is it wise to own a newly acquired Stray Kitten.