Silicone vs. New-fill

Doctor:

I have now had 6 sessions of New-Fill and am ultimately disappointed. I was told that I was a mild/moderate candidate to begin with and that I wouldn't need more than 2-3 treatments. 9 mos. and many thousands of dollars and bruised weeks of recovery later and all I've learned is that New-fill isn't for everyone. I was overcorrected in some areas, and it never really took in others. There is SOME improvement, don't get me wrong, and it was done by a doctor in the U.S., but I feel like I was mislead and should have been given a more accurate picture of how many sessions it would take and that I ought to keep my expectations very low.

I only say this because I was very excited by reading the postings on this board, some of which seem like free advertizing for certain doctors who do this...as if they wrote them themselves...and I would have liked to hear some balanced reviews.

My question is now about Silicone? I went to the NAT'L LIBRARY of MEDICINE link that you gave, but it would not let me read any of the studies, and it is very difficult for a layman to register. How is this pharmaceutical grade silicone? Is it safe? Can a dermatologist do it? can it be undone? Are there any horror stories? Obviously I'm hesitant because of its permanency, what if there's a screw up? Can you help me get on the NLM, or is there an alternative site?

I have an appointment to do this in 10 days, on 7/1, so if you, or anyone out there, have any info., good and bad, and would share it with me, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you for all your time, MK

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

There are champions for many types of reconstructive surgery. There are also many cautions that range from less-than-desirable effect to serious adverse effects in many types of treatments. Many of the horror stories that are told are related to the use of non-pharmaceutical grade silicone and inadequate procedures. Pharmaceutical silicone beads are under investigation at this time in small trials.

Whatever the treatment, I suspect that there won't be the perfect and trouble-free procedure for everyone. Some will have great results and others won't. I don't know of a way to decide if you are in the first or second category. The frustrating part for all involved is the lack of conclusive evidence and standardized/experienced procedures in all places.

As for getting online at the National Library of Medicine, anyone can do that through the link below. All of us can read available abstracts and occasionally there are free downloads of articles available. Many publications require a paid subscription prior to downloading the article. In this case you can opt to order the article at a cost or visit your local medical library (usually at a medical center or university site) and look the article up to read the articles and make personal copies.

No doubt, surgical options for lipoatrophy treatments will be further investigated and refined, making acceptable results more common. Keep an eye out for other non-surgical options under investigation as well. Best wishes on your work to find the right therapy for you.

Rapid Pulse Rate
abdominal swelling