Does it have to be HIV?

They say that Lipodystrophy is only found in patients with HIV. I have always been that person that tried to gain weight -- losing and gaining over the years. I am now 23. My last HIV test was a few months ago -- they came back nonreactive. But, I am experiencing a great deal of Lipodystrophy and Facial Wasting. I can pinch the fat on my stomach. It does lay out flat when I lay down. I Don't think it's "underneath." But, though I am dieting and the sort, the fat around the abdomen is not going away at all, nor is the weight in the chest area and legs, but my face is wasting. My body takes on a very weird shape. It scares me. How long does it take for this to take effect once you have HIV? Could there be other explanations (besides HIV) for this?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Yes, there are other reasons for lipodystrophy (abnormal fat loss and/or accumulation) beside HIV infection. Insulin resistance, for instance, can lead to problems in this area. As for how long it takes to occur after being HIV-infected... hmmm... that is a rough one because there are many risk factors aside from HIV and anti-HIV treatment.

Because you are not HIV-infected (testing negative), you will want a referral to an endocrinologist to look for real reasons and reasonable treatments. Till then, back away from dieting until you know more about what you are facing.

Wasting and the use of steroids
infant feeding choices for HIV positive mothers