Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does it have to be HIV?
Jun 18, 2002

They say that Lipodystrophy is only found in patients with HIV. I have always been that person that tried to gain weight -- losing and gaining over the years. I am now 23. My last HIV test was a few months ago -- they came back nonreactive. But, I am experiencing a great deal of Lipodystrophy and Facial Wasting. I can pinch the fat on my stomach. It does lay out flat when I lay down. I Don't think it's "underneath." But, though I am dieting and the sort, the fat around the abdomen is not going away at all, nor is the weight in the chest area and legs, but my face is wasting. My body takes on a very weird shape. It scares me. How long does it take for this to take effect once you have HIV? Could there be other explanations (besides HIV) for this?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Yes, there are other reasons for lipodystrophy (abnormal fat loss and/or accumulation) beside HIV infection. Insulin resistance, for instance, can lead to problems in this area. As for how long it takes to occur after being HIV-infected... hmmm... that is a rough one because there are many risk factors aside from HIV and anti-HIV treatment.

Because you are not HIV-infected (testing negative), you will want a referral to an endocrinologist to look for real reasons and reasonable treatments. Till then, back away from dieting until you know more about what you are facing.

Previous
Wasting and the use of steroids
Next
infant feeding choices for HIV positive mothers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.