non-steroidal answer to wasting.

Recently I received an email touting a non-steroidal product based on a Veterinary product used in France (Kynoselen) that purportedly keeps muscle mass on and adds muscle mass as well. Supposedly AIDS patients use this there insted of testosterone. This appeals to me because I have chronic Hep B and steroids are bad for my liver. I can not afford Serostim. Can you give me some advice.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Apparently Kynoselen (containing adenosine monophosphate also known as AMP) may have the potential to modulate parathyroid hormone receptors, which may ultimately inhibit osteoblast differentiation (at least in vitro). I don't know what ultimate effects this may have in humans.

Because it is a veterinary drug, you would have to be very careful about dosing. While I didn't find anything specific on FDA refusals of Kyneselen into the United States, I also did not find any evidence not on commercial sites and certainly not convincing information.

As with many things that are labelled as "nutritional supplements" this is a product that should be on your "buyer beware and aware" list.

Flat in the front & Hump on the Back
Wasting and the use of steroids