Absorption of Medications

I have been recently diagnosed HIV+ and have started Trizivir twice a day. In April of 2001, I had gastric bypass surgery to lose weight. I was 380 lbs. I have since lost 170 lbs. Physically I feel great, then I tried to get life insurance and got the news. I understand that this operation I had effects absorption and nutrition. Do you think this will have any effect on how well the meds work?? Should I increase the dosage. My ID doctor doesn't seem to know. I have asked this question before, and didn't notice a response, please respond if you can.. thanks.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Bypass operations are designed to reduce your capacity for eating and the absorption of nutrients. Typical problems seen in bypass surgery include fat malabsorption and food intolerances. It makes sense that if your nutrients aren't absorbed well, there is a possibility that medications may not be as well-absorbed as they would without bypass surgery.

There are a couple of possibilities for finding out how well you are doing with absorbing adequate medications. First, keep an eye on your viral load to see if you are getting an appropriate response. Your doctor might suggest dose adjustments and alternative medication regimens as needed. The other option is a bit more complicated, but could be viable in your situation: medication levels. If the medication level is low, a dose adjustment or change in medications may be in order (again, talk with your doctor on this).

Best wishes on this one!

inquisitive mind
deca-durabolin off the market!