Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

inquisitive mind
Jun 2, 2002

My question has to do with lipodystrophy/atrophy. The question has been asked before, "what causes it and why did I get it?" The answers given always seem to point towards multiple factors, some being length of infection,cd4 count, aids diagnosis, age at time of infection and meds. This leads me to conclude that it would be more prevalent in someone who was older, has been positive for many years, has a low cd4 count and has had an aids defining illness. Correct? If this is the case, why is it that I find myself with lipodystrophy/atrophy at the age of 28, having been positive for three years? My cd4 has been low (lowest 240, current 400)and I have never had an OI. Another question I have is there anyway to find out what my probable cd4 count was before infection, maybe through old blood samples? It's just that I have a feeling that my cd4 count was low to begin with. I know I've just thrown alot at you, so thank's in advance.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

You are right that the jury is still out on the exact role that each of the puzzle pieces play. They include those you mentioned and more potential culprits: smoking, drinking, family history of diabetes, insulin resistance, exercise, amount CD4 count has increased, level of viral load, mitchondrial toxicity, oxidative stress, etc. And, lipodystrophy changes occur in children and adults.

If you do have preserved old blood specimens that were properly drawn for immune cell tests, you may be able to get some results. Check with your doctor on that one.

Below is a link that you may find interesting reading. Best wishes! Lipodystrophy Conference Summary

Previous
Healthy but loosing wieght
Next
Absorption of Medications

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.