lipodystrophy causes hernias

I have developed an umbilical hernia. It is of course unsightly. My doctor says I should not have it repaired until underlying lypo (which in my case is severe) is resolved.

I would say the bulge at this point is between and an inch and two inches. It makes it necessary to wear my shirt out of my pants.

Please advise.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Yes, the underlying fat seems to predispose to developing umbilical protrusions. What you describe is very significant!

I would think that your decision to surgically repair might be based on what sorts of strategies you have in place to address the belly to begin with. Talk with your doctor about your options and the potential effectiveness of the strategies you decide to pursue.

If there are no strategies in place, then it may be worth talking with your doctor about an appropriate referral for a consultation by a surgical specialist.

Wasting only for people on meds?
When Will Body Shut Down