The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Weight loss and reduction of blood sugar at the same time.
May 31, 2002

What type of excercise should I do that reduces my blood sugar, and helps rid me of fat? Since I started on HIV Meds I've had one hell of a time keeping my sugar low. I'm a type 2 diabetic, who used to weigh 280#, and am down to 175. I recently spoke to my Dr. who suggested I work out, but I didn't even think to ask what kind of excercise I should be doing. I got to the gym and realized I didn't have a clue as to what I was supposed to be doing. Where do I find simple, easy to understand resources about these subjects? And I'm not about to shell out the $60-100 an hour for a personal trainer.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Exercise and a good diet can certainly help out in keeping your blood sugar under control. The type of exercise you seek is "aerobic" exercise, though it is often a good idea to mix aerobic, strength, and stretching exercise in a balanced plan.

For more information on exercise, you are cordially invited to visit the website on the link below. You can also ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist who will evaluate your condition and any limitations and can provide you with an "exercise prescription" which is really a detailed outline of what and how much of each exercise to do.

You can also check out an exercise video that was designed for use in HIV infection. Check out the second link below to look into ordering one.

Fitness Information

Exercise Video

Water Soluble Capsules

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint