Oxandrin

Dr.,

I have been considering taking oxandrin to gain back some weight. Are there any nasty side effects I should look out for? Would you prescribe this drug to your own patients?

thank u! robert

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I use oxandrin all the time in HIV patients to help them gain muscle mass. However I would not use it to gain weight if I did not have a disease that causes weight loss. There are always side effects of medications and oxandrin can cause liver problems in high doses, so the risk benefit ratio must be in your favor before you take any drug! DTD

Tinitis and HIV drugs
Lipodistrophy and losing weight