Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New Fill in NYC
May 21, 2002

I've been getting New Fill treatments in New York City from Dr. Gervais Frechette on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. I've had 4 treatments so far, spaced about 2-3 weeks apart. Though my facial lipatrophy is not completely gone, there has been noticeable improvement. Dr. Frechette initially anticipated 4-6 treatments, which I think will end up being about right. Dr. Frechette is quite good and reasonably priced (500/session plus the cost of the New Fill). He is French Canadian and works closely with Dr. Elizabeth LaGlenne, the developer of New Fill, in Paris, and makes periodic trips back to France for procedural updates. I'm posting this as I know that the FDA has made it somewhat difficult to have this procedure done in the US and patients have been hunting for competent doctors trained giving New Fill treatments. I have heard that the docs in Tijuana are pretty bad and don't really know what they're doing. Patients there have been getting poor results. A doctor in Miami is apparently outrageously priced, though good at the treatments. Dr. Frechette supplies the New Fill for me. He photographs each patient before treatment begins. These pictures are reviewed and compared with photos of each of the following treatments. He does about 20 small injections on each side of my face- which can be somewhat painful- and this is followed by a rigorous massage of the face to make sure no lumping occurs. The entire process takes a little over an hour. Just wanted this out FYI as I know people have been somewhat exasperated trying to find New Fill, etc., and this is one doctor who seems to know what he's doing. Thanks.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

We are keeping an eye on the availability and work with New Fill and other treatments for facial lipoatrophy as well as other forms of lipodystrophy. Also keep an eye on the ACTIS website for information on clinical trials. Best wishes on this!

Previous
HIV finally has a face...
Next
Please answer my question, I am scared???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.