Weight loss

I have had a lot of weight loss. My doctors have put me on Oxandrin, Marinol and Remeron. So far I have had little success. In the past Megace has caused some bad side effects. Do you have any suggestions?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

The effect of oxandrolone (Oxandrin) and dronabinol (Marinol) are dose-dependent, time-dependent, and are enhanced by efforts to eat well and exercise. Mirtazapine (Remeron) is an antidepressant that may help with any blocks to appetite because of depression, which may also take a few weeks to take hold.

Sometimes it helps to have a clear plan for eating and consider consuming the right amount of food as a necessary (not optional) activity. Depending on the urgency to deal with your weight loss compared to other health priorities, ask for a referral to a dietitian to help you with food strategies.

Also, check with your doctor on the doses of these medications to see if it might help to increase the doses at this time (assuming you are currently at a lower dose) and to clear you for an exercise program. Exercise "prescriptions" can be developed by a physical therapist and will help you to clearly plan your efforts.

losing weight
I am HIV negative