Artecoll for facial wasting

Dear Sir:

I have been HIV for five years and am on Sustiva, Zerit and 3TC. I have been told about an injection called Artecoll which, when injected into the face, raises areas that have receded.

Apparently the body's own collagen surrounds this drug and is supposed to be permanent. Takes 3 months for drug to work completely. Please advise whether this drug would work, as it costs about the same,I'm told, as Collagen injections, but is permanent.

Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I really have no information on that treatment, although some would suggest that you explore switching off of the zerit which might keep the facial wasting from getting worse. You may want to ask your MD to check your serum lactate and liver tests to check for mitochondrial toxicity. Good luck! DTD

Fascial Wasting Hero in San Francisco
Education on GHB needed.