|nurtition - moldy foods
Apr 12, 2002
I read that you're not supposed to eat anything with mold when you're +. What about different kinds of cheeses such as blue cheese.
Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner
It has been recommended to avoid moldy foods because of the potential for mold to cause fungal infections (molds are funguses). Much of this recommendation really depends on the mold and your immune function. Because mold is a "plant" that sends out roots, it has also been recommended to throw such foods out rather than trying to "cut out" the moldy portions.
I would say that blue cheese use depends on your immune function. The choices are less clear cut than in other food safety issues. You may want to talk with your dietitian and doctor to find out their thoughts and philosophy on the strictness of food safety.
In HIV disease, it is more than the "here and now," but you should consider what may happen if your immune function declines. There is a potential for food borne illness to pop up after remaining quietly in your intestinal tract for a long time.
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.