weight gain (more specific)

I had asked if weight gain would be uncommon in a person with HIV for four years. I should have been more specific. I don't know my status and it has been four years since my last unsafe encounter. Since 1998, I have gone from 175 to 195. I was just wondering if this would be unusual if I were positive? Especially since all I ever hear about is weight loss, not weight gain, with HIV. Thank You.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Weight gain is not uncommon in persons with HIV who have few to no opportunistic events (infection, cancers) and a lower viral load, particularly if treated. Most significant weight loss is associated with opportunistic events and weight recovery is associated with the resolution of those events. Weight gain is a calorie balanace and metabolic issue, so if the balance is stacked on the side of weight gain and there is nothing to stop it (as I mentioned, opportunistic events) then weight gain is likely.

Papaya with protease
Androgel 1 Side Effects