Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need help with Andro
Apr 11, 2002

Hi, my question deals with Androstenedione. I'm thinking about starting a cycle but i'm not really sure whether it really works or not. Does it? and are there any side effects? Thank you.

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

As with anything, "works" is a relative term. Androstenedione is an adrenal hormone that has been shown to increase estradiol levels while decreasing HDL cholesterol (generally known as the "good" cholesterol). There is some disagreement about its ability to increase testosterone levels or improve exercise, libido, or body composition.

The warnings that accompany this supplement (usually taken between 200 and 600 mg/day) are those associated with hormones of this kind. For instance, while this hormone is not considered terribly androgenic, there is the potential for this unwanted interaction and potentially an increased cancer risk in post-menopausal women and prostate cancer in men. Whether or not these really play out in a person is up in the air and purely a guess.

Previous
supplements and viral load
Next
muscle loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.