weight gain

Dr. Dieterich I need to gain weight... I am 6ft and only weigh about 150 pounds. I have tried Megace, ensure and ensure plus and several other over the counter brands. but nothing works. I have been hiv+ for 11 years and my last t-cell count was 810 and viral load is undectable. I have always been thin, but I need to put on some weight.. I try to eat healthy. is there anyway of slowing my metabolism down? thanks Tom

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The first thing to do is check your testosterone level and if low to supplement it! If not you can consider anabolic agents like deca or oxandrolone. However you should not try to make yourself something you are not and to try to get above your idea body weight! DTD

Can too large of dose cause lipodystrophy?