Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high sgpt
Apr 3, 2002

Dear Cade, After a test showing my sgpt level is high,(sgpt=43),I wonder if I should be on a diet to make it normal. If so, what kind of food should I avoid.

Best regards, Mahir

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Dear Mahir,

"High levels" is a relative term. A normal range for SGPT (also known as ALT) is 0-48. Your current level is within normal and does not indicate a need (at least not on this information alone) for special dietary restrictions.

In order for diet restrictions to be appropriate, the level would have to be well above the normal range (more than 2 times higher) and even then, it would greatly depend on why the liver enzymes are high.

So, with the information you have provided, no dietary restrictions are recommended for you. That is good news! I should say, though, that general diet recommendations for a healthy and varied diet that emphasizes fruits and vegetables may still be wise.

Previous
MRI Scanning for my brain
Next
how long before you know?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.