gynecomastia

read your response (posted 12/19/00). I had testostrone tests done and have a 695 number which my doctor indicated was good for my age (43). I have stopped all supplements for the past 45 days and the lumps have not dissappeared in my breasts. Had an ultrasound, mammogram and needle aspiration at a breast center. The surgeon suggested wait 30 days and have another ultasound and biopsy done - I have no cancer in my family, no breast cancer, seems unlikely I could have breast cancer being that I am male. I understand it occurs, but puzzled. Having additional tests done. Appreciate any info on HIV, Meds & Gynecomastia. Is there a relationship between HIV and breast cancer (male)?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

No reported relationship between HIV and male breast cancer to my knowledge. However there is a relationship between HIV and gynecomastia, probably related to antiretrovirals. The GM is usually painful (but not always), frequently symmetrical (similar in both breats- but not always), and frequently improves/resolves after discontinuation of the causative drug (but not always. And gynecomastia is not so uncommon in the non-HIV male. I do not want to second guess your docs, but I doubt a biopsy is needed given the clear association of gynecomastia and HIV. But you should double check with your docs.

Re: Fascial Wasting
HIV, kidney disease and nutrition