For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

new RD looking for resources

I am a RD new to the field of HIV and am looking for professional resources surrounding nutrition recommendations and protocols. Specifically info. on supplements. Any suggestions from your experience in the field?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

There are many resources and I will list a few for you to begin your quest. Because you are an RD, you can look to your professional association for starters. The American Dietetic Association has a Dietetic Practice Group for Dietetics Professionals working in HIV/AIDS. Check out the website Our nurse colleagues have an excellent resource for learning about the issues and nuances in HIV in the Association for Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC) which you can find at

For information on supplements you can be overwhelmed by resources, but I would like to suggest that you start with the ADA publication by A. Sarubin: The Health Professional's Guide to Popular Dietary Supplements as a baseline from which to build.

You will also need information on nutrition issues surrounding medications commonly used in HIV and there are two resources I would recommend for that: a medication guide (from Canada) at and a book: Food-Medication Interactions in HIV listed on (they also list an herbal guide). For short clinician-targeted handouts, you can download a variety from

That should get you started... happy hunting!

dear doctor,the f.d.a needs to understand our plight
gender and strength