Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

My medications were stolen while visiting NYC!

Dear Christa , Im visiting the US until jan 20 , and my meds that i brought with me from Greece got stolen on the subway they were in my backpack along with my money and credit cards ..I used to live in NYC 10 years ago and have an ADAP card issued in 1998 ,Does ADAP expire? I was at GMHC back then and would get my drugs prescribed then i would use my adapt card and pick up from pharmacy I am not a US citizen and i currently live in Greece , i can't get someone to send me meds from Greece because i have not disclosed my status to any one there . Can i get medication in the US as an emergency ? do i need to go to a clinic and tested again so they can prescribe me my current meds ? Help I'm stranded with no money to buy the meds or to purchase a new ticket back to Greece.

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear writer,

I am so sorry to hear your properties were stolen while visiting the great city of New York!

I advise you to immediately contact a health care professional to assess your options in obtaining new prescription medication. Since you are not a resident of NYC you will not be eligible for replacement drugs through the AIDS Drugs Assistance Program (ADAP). However you may be eligible for treatment at a community-based clinic that provides health care for uninsured persons on a sliding scale. A great place to start is by calling Callen-Lorde Community Health Center. Callen-Lorde is health care facility well known for its targeted care for LGBT people and people living with HIV/AIDS. According to their website, "Callen-Lorde provides sensitive, quality health care and related services...regardless of ability to pay." If Callen-Lorde is unable to assist you, I bet they can point you in the right direction.

I wish you good luck.

Callen-Lorde Community Health Center

Family Members
Told no HIV inmates allowed