Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DO I NEED TO QUIT MY JOB AS A NURSE??
Jun 29, 2013

I am a nurse. I am on atripla. Do i need to leave my profession?

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear writer, Thank you for submitting this inquiry.

In general, according to case law and professional practice guidelines, health care workers (doctors, nurses, etc) have a duty to inform patients or employers that they are HIV positive if they perform invasive or "exposure-prone" procedures on patients. Specific guidelines are set out in the American Medical Association's "Guidance for HIV-Infected Physicians and other Health Care Workers", 2011. (H-20.912).

In pertinent part the guidelines say: "Patient Care Duties: A physician or other health care worker who performs exposure-prone procedures and becomes HIV-positive should disclose his/her serostatus to a state public health official or local review committee. An HIV- infected physician or other health care worker should refrain from conducting exposure-prone procedures or perform such procedures without permission from the local review committee and the informed consent of the patient."

Regarding confidentiality and discrimination, the guidelines go on to say: "AMA expresses its commitment to HIV -infected physicians concerning confidentiality of HIV serostatus, protection against discrimination, involvement in legislation affecting HIV- infected physicians, financial support through such means as insurance disability guidelines, and assistance with alternative careers through its Physician Health Program. Our AMA believes the confidentiality of the HIV- infected physician should be protected as with any HIV patient. Knowledge of the health care worker's HIV serostatus should be restricted to those few professionals who have a medical need to know. Except for those with a need to know, all information on the serostatus of the health care worker must be held in the strictest confidence."

So the answer to your question really turns on the nature of your work, i.e. whether you perform "exposure prone" procedures. There is no bright line rule on what qualifies as "exposure prone" or under what circumstances an employee constitutes a "direct threat" -- these inquiries are very fact specific.

Limiting the employment and civil rights of HIV positive health care workers has a stigmatizing effect. This can perpetuate unfounded fear and HIV animus especially considering the plethora of medical studies that show the actual risk of transmission in the heath care environment is remote.

If you choose to disclose your status to your employer, it may be wise to review the laws that protect you against discrimination and protect your confidentiality. I wish you all the best as a nurse and thank you for taking the time to learn more.

Previous
consume alchol while on pep medication Tenvir em
Next
Can I sell my unused HIV/AIDS medication on the street?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.