Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV or AIDS can't keep me from getting a green card
Apr 13, 2013

I have HIV. I have been working in USA for about 3 years now (L-1 Visa) and i would like to apply for a Green Card. My question is: Testing HIV positive or having AIDS is a bar to getting a green card???

Like always, "Thanks again for all the help and support, we extremely appreciated".

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Dear writer,

Thank you for writing in. Your HIV status alone does not bar you from getting a green card! But it is important to know that your HIV status (like any medical condition) may play a role when you apply for a green card. This is because United States immigration policy disfavors those likely to become a "public charge."

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS"), a public charge is "an individual who is likely to become primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense." So for those who are HIV positive and poor, the government may look at your specific need to receive means-tested benefits like welfare, Medicaid (health insurance for the poor) and other public benefits. However government funded Medicaid (other than support for long-term institutional care) does not automatically render one a "public charge.

To read more on the factors immigration officials take into consideration in assessing "public charge" determination I direct you to the USCIS website: www.uscis.gov. I wish you all the best!

Immigration requirements

Previous
Bad Medication
Next
Hiv in relation to blood pressure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.