The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Legal Issues and HIVLegal Issues and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

invasion of privacy?

Apr 13, 2013

Another tenant in a rooming house told everyone my HIV status without my permission and caused panic..can I bring charges?

Response from Ms. Douaihy

Thank you for writing in with your question. Your neighbor's behavior is hostile, unethical and wrong. However I am afraid there is probably nothing "illegal" about what they are doing. As individuals, your neighbors are not legally obligated to keep your status a secret UNLESS you shared that info with them under a written release/authorization form. HIV confidentiality laws in some states and the federal Privacy Rule under HIPAA prohibits "covered entities" (hospitals, doctors, social service agencies, etc) from wrongly disclosing one's HIV status, but does not protect you in most circumstances if a roommate/friend/relative discloses your status. You may want to consult with a tort or personal injury lawyer to see if they can be sued for their disclosures and harsh statements (although these cases have a high burden and are harder to win). I advise you to look into a mediation program that may deescalate this conflict. Most cities have mediation programs available through the court system that aim to help people resolve serious disputes. Please stay strong and I wish you good luck in this process!

Can I amend medical records?
Bad Medication

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint